It was created in 1936 by Dimitrie Gusti, Victor Ion Popa, and Henri H. Stahl.
There are more than 60 original houses, farmsteads, windmills, watermills and churches from all of Romania's historic regions: Transylvania, Oltenia, Dobrogea and Moldavia. Every exhibit has a plaque showing exactly where in Romania it was brought from.
. The museum has a great souvenir shop, and a stall selling traditional Romanian sweets and cakes.
Admission 10 lei, pensioners 5 lei, students/children 2.50 lei. Audio guides available for 50 lei, guided tours in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian 300 lei: call in advance. Note that while the museum is open on Mondays, the houses are not.